Saturday, December 27, 2008

Surprise Christmas Gift

I've been thinking about things we sometimes inherit that we couldn't otherwise afford. A few years ago I inherited my grandmother's fine china from Germany. My mother never really liked the pattern, or so she says. Amelia and I couldn't afford china, not really. We bought some cheap china at a discount dinnerware store in St. Augustine, FL just before we wed. My wife's philosophy was cheap china is better than no china; mine, the opposite. She won.

This Christmas my parents surprised us again when they gave us the silverware my mom got from her parents for their wedding in 1959. I'm not talking about cheap stainless steel or silver-platted flatware, but real sterling silverware, service for twelve. My mother claims she never really like it. (She and her mother had "issues," not just different tastes.) 

I could make a spiritual application about how we inherit blessings and salvation from God, but I won't. I'll just say thank you mom and dad for your generous gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment